Yesterday, a very dear friend of mine posted on Facebook that I am very opinionated, and so she would like to see me on Twitter.
Well, I do have an opinion on almost everything, so I guess I am opinionated, but hopefully amusingly so. However, here’s why I don’t think I could ever subscribe to Twitter:
- 140 characters are hardly enough to express oneself meaningfully. Yes, I like to waffle.
- Twitter encourages the texting of internet slang which has become all too pervasive, infecting even those who have been taught proper written language. I’m kinda anal about language and grammar.
- Tweets were meant to be composed on portable devices like cellular phones. I hate those things because I really struggle to type on them, whether they have keys or a touch interface. I don’t have fat fingers, just thin patience.
- Facebook is already one social network too many. Twitter would be like the third wheel.
- The Tweetosphere is already filled with too much noise. I really don’t care what you had for breakfast, nor do I suspect do you care that I’m stuck in traffic.
- The pressure to post something to keep your followers interested invariably leads to more noise. I already have that pressure with this blog, and don’t wish to add to it.
Off course I suppose there are benefits, but you can just as well drop me an email to let me know what they are…